Small Hands in the Big World

Thursday, June 9, 2011

More Wisdom of Daddy



I stay close, I guide, I lend a helping hand.  I’m a mom, it’s what I do.  I want them to feel safe and secure, knowing I am always here for them.  I want them to know that it’s OK to ask for help, I want to help. It’s my way.  Daddy stays back, he waits, he stays quiet. It’s his way.
I used to get annoyed by this approach, thinking he wasn’t paying attention when the kids needed help cutting food into bites or putting toothpaste on toothbrushes. But I get it now.  Obviously, doing everything for kids doesn’t give them a chance to learn plus I realized that a lot of my “helping” was actually inspired by impatience, not virtuous maternal instinct. Sometimes I just want them to be done brushing their teeth already!
“Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.  Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.”                                                                                      ~Chinese Proverb and Daddy Wisdom
And when I’m not getting it, he reminds me “teaching them to fish, Lizzie, teaching them to fish.”


Sara thinks Daddy is pretty wise too.
 Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...